I don't know how vital is Wine software for you anymore. I mean, I haven't used it for ages. May be because I am not a gamer of sorts and I don't use iPod. In case of applications, I have good alternatives for most of the windows specific applications. But for those who still can't live without Wine, here is the good news. Wine 1.2 RC3 is released with a lot of major bug fixes and improvements.
What's new in Wine 1.2 RC3 ?
- Good news for gamers. Call of Duty installation is smooth now and NFS Carbon will work with wine.
- A lot of bug fixes related to widely used applications like Microsoft Office 2007, Winamp 5, Adobe Framemaker, Word Viewer 2003 etc.
- A number of translation related updates.
- You can see the full list of changes and bug fixes here.
How to Install Wine 1.2 RC3 in Ubuntu Lucid, Karmic?
- You will have to add the wine repo first of all. For that, copy-paste the following lines to Terminal (Applications - Accessories - Terminal)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
- Done. Now Install the latest version of Wine in Ubuntu after updating repositories.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine
Already Installed Wine?
- If you have already installed wine before, all you need is an apt-get upgrade.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Also Read ..