- First of all you need to get the latest version of wine. Do the following depending on the version of Ubuntu.
- Open Terminal and copy-paste the following line into Terminal(Give password when prompted).
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
- For Ubuntu versions before Ubuntu 9.10, this is little bit trickier. First you have to get the gpg key and later you to add the wine ppa repo to your sources.list.
- Don't worry, let me make it simple for you. Copy-paste the following line to Terminal to add the gpg key.
wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
- Now, add PPA Repo depending on the version of Ubuntu you use. For that, simply copy paste the command into Terminal.
For Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/jaunty.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
For Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid
sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
For Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy
sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
Install the latest version of Wine
- Now, install the latest version of wine in ubuntu.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install wine cabextract
- Done. Cabextract is a dependency you need to install.
Now Download and Install IEs4linux package
- Now, unzip the downloaded tar.gz file. (Right click > Extract here).
- Open the extracted folder and double click 'ies4linux' file.
- Choose the options you want and that is it.
- Don't ever expect IEs4linux to work as your regular browser. Even the original IE doesn't stand a chance in front of Firefox, Chromium, Google Chrome or Opera ;-)