The only IRC client I ever used was XChat. I decided to try something different and Irssi client was a great find. Irssi is a terminal based IRC client for Unix systems and is probably the best I have used till now. [Numb3rs' Description of IRC - Video]
Irssi Features and Improvements
- Autologging is possible with Irssi. Irssi will automatically log any channels, queries or special windows that you want.
- A number of formats and themes are available. [Irssi Themes]
- Configurable keybindings is a welcome feature.
- Irssi is Perl integrated, hence more flexible and features powerful scripting capabilities. The entire behavior and appearence of Irssi can be modified using Perl scripts. [Contributed Irssi Scripts]
How to Install Irssi in Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx"?
- Latest Irssi 0.8.15 is not yet available in Ubuntu 10.04 repositories. Irssi version available is 0.8.14.
sudo apt-get install irssi
- Done. If you want the latest version of Irssi, you may have to compile it from the source. More details here.
- Use Irssi manpage for more details and configurations available with Irssi.
- Those who use other Linux distros can find respective packages here in the Irssi Download Page.
Also Read ..