KDE Software Compilation 4.5 Release Candidate 2 (KDE SC 4.5 RC2) is released. The final version of the KDE SC release will be available by August 2010. This latest KDE release will introduce "improvements across the board in terms of innovative new features, greater ease of use, accessibility, good looks, better networking and further internationalization", according to the KDE team.
What's New in KDE SC 4.5 RC?
- A reworked notification area. Thanks to the new, D-Bus-based protocol that replaces the old "system tray", a uniform look and consistent interaction scheme can now be guaranteed across applications and toolkits.
- KWin-Tiling makes it possible to automatically place windows next to each other.
- Advanced graphical effects, such as blurring the background of translucent windows make for a more pleasurable user experience.
- Users that prefer WebKit above the KHTML rendering engine currently used in Konqueror, KDE's web browser now can install the WebKit component and switch Konqueror to use WebKit as rendering engine for web sites. Well, that is pretty cool.
- Another special focus of this release cycle is the stability of the software delivered with KDE SC 4.5.
How to Install Latest KDE SC 4.5 RC 2 in Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx"?
- Latest KDE SC 4.5 RC is available with kubuntu beta PPA.
- Open Terminal(Applications - Accessories - Terminal), and copy-paste the following line into Terminal. This will add kubuntu-beta PPA and will do the authentication.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta && sudo apt-get update
- Now if you have already installed KDE(kubuntu) in Ubuntu, all you need is an upgrade.
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
- Now, to install KDE from scratch, do this instead.
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
- That will get you the latest KDE SC 4.5 RC 2. Though this KDE release is pretty much perfect, it is still an RC and hence it can cause trouble. So think twice before doing this in a production machine.
Also Read ..