Firefox 8.0 has just been released and we will see how to install or upgrade to latest Firefox 8.0 in Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot below. Meanwhile, nightly builds of Firefox 10.0 is already available for installation in Ubuntu Oneiric via PPA. Firefox 10.0 Alpha 1, as expected, scores a perfect 100 in Acid 3 tests and is visibly more faster than its previous iterations.
- Firefox 10.0 Alpha 1 scores a perfect 100 in Acid 3 tests.
- With every new release, Firefox is closing in on Google Chrome in terms of speed. It is already faster than Google Chrome in Sun Spider benchmark and is closing in fast on other popular benchmarks as well.
- More up to date information on Firefox speed improvements here.
- Do the following in Terminal(Unity shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + T).
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install firefox-trunk
- Done. Nightly builds are meant for testing primarily. Use it at your own risk.
- Default Firefox in Ubuntu 11.10 is still on version 7.0.1. If you don't want to wait till the arrival of official updates and want to upgrade to latest stable Firefox 8.0 in Ubuntu Oneiric right now, do the following.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
- Prompt will ask you to restart Firefox and you are done. Now you have both the latest stable and unstable releases of Firefox in your Ubuntu Oneiric namely Firefox 8.0 and Firefox 10.0 a1 respectively. Have fun.