Who doesn't like quotes especially if it's about Linux and Microsoft. Here are some fascinating, funny, intriguing and totally awesome quotes on technology, Linux and Microsoft.
Some of my favorite quotes on technology, Linux, Microsoft in no particular order. Sources of a number of quotes are unknown and hence those empty spaces after those quotes.
1. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo"
~ Andy Finkel
2. "The TV world is a simplified and analog recreation of what's happening in more interactive mediums, like the Web" ~ Rishi Chandra, Senior product manager, Google Inc.
3. "Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature." ~ Rich Kulawiec
4. "Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile." ~ Karl Lehenbauer
5. "The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to hang yourself. And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure."
6. "The difference between Microsoft and 'Jurassic Park': In one, a crazy businessman makes a lot of money with beasts that should be extinct. The other one is a film."
7. "There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't."
8. "Why do geeks think Halloween and Christmas occur on the same day? Because 31oct = 25dec!"
9. "What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
~ Denis Vlasenko
10. "We all know Linux is great, it does infinite loops in 5 seconds." ~ Linus Torvalds
11. "I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get a high grade for such a design."
~ Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds
12. "Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had." ~ Linus Torvalds
13. "Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux."
14. "How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I only coded it." ~ Linus Torvalds(supposedly)
15. "How do you power off this machine?" ~ Linus Torvalds, when upgrading linux.cs.helsinki.fi, and after using the machine for several months.
16. "Absolutely nothing should be concluded from these figures except that no conclusion can be drawn from them." ~ Joseph L. Brothers
17. "The Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." ~ Linux Torvalds
18. "Linux: the operating system with a CLUE, Command Line User Environment."
19. "..Linux really *is* the best thing since sliced bread." ~ Vance Petree
20. "See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too." ~ Linux Torvalds
21. "Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion." ~ Mike Coleman
22. "Linux is not user-friendly. It _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly."
[Read our BIGGEST EVER discussion on Linux and it's user friendliness]
23. "Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep."
24. "One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." ~ Robert Firth
25. "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~ Rich Cook
26. "I don't know why, but first C programs tend to look a lot worse than first programs in any other language (maybe except for fortran, but then I suspect all fortran programs look like 'firsts')" ~ Olaf Kirch
27. "I'd crawl over an acre of 'Visual This++' and 'Integrated Development That' to get to gcc, Emacs, and gdb. Thank you." ~ Vance Petree
28. "It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God." ~ Matt Welsh
29. "On the Internet, no one knows you're using Windows NT"
30. "Never make any mistaeks."
31. "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." ~ Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
32. "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." ~ Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
33. "A Windows user spends 1/3 of his life sleeping, 1/3 working, 1/3 waiting."
34. "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"
35. "I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code."
36. "My software never has bugs. It just develops random features."
37. "Windows isn't a virus, viruses do something."
38. "The box said 'Required Windows 95 or better'. So, I installed LINUX."
39. "If Python is executable pseudocode, then perl is executable line noise."
40. "Real men don't use backups, they post their stuff on a public ftp server and let the rest of the world make copies." ~ Linus Torvalds
Thats it for now. Hope you had a nice time reading them. Meanwhile, we also had a beautiful collection of awesome XKCD comics before. You may want to check them out too.