Sugar desktop environment was originally conceptualized to become the default desktop for OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) project. Sugar desktop is designed with the goal of being used by children for learning. The original Sugar desktop environment was repackaged for Ubuntu and it was called Ubuntu Sugar Remix.
Ubuntu Sugar Remix
- The award-winning Sugar Learning Platform promotes collaborative learning through Sugar Activities that encourage critical thinking, the heart of a quality education. Designed from the ground up especially for children, Sugar offers an alternative to traditional “office-desktop” software.
- Ubuntu Sugar Remix is a derative distribuion of Ubuntu which features the Sugar Learning Platform.
- The vision for the Ubuntu Sugar Remix is to provide students preK to 12 with a quick and easy to understand learning platform.
- After playing with Ubuntu Sugar Remix for an hour or so, I must say, Sugar desktop is indeed a job well done. Applications like Text-to-speech and Paint was quite fun to use. Sugar desktop interface with such easy to use applications must be a run away hit among kids.
How to install Ubuntu Sugar Remix in Ubuntu Lucid 10.04?
- Open Terminal(Applications - Accessories - Terminal) and copy-paste the following line into Terminal.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sugarteam/ppa
- Done. Now update repositories and install Ubuntu Sugar Remix in Ubuntu.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-sugar-remix
- Done. Now logout from your Gnome session, and while in the login screen, select Ubuntu Sugar Remix from sessions and be a kid once again :-)
Also Read ..