GIMP 2.6.9 is released. For newbies, GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. As you can infer from the name, GIMP is completely open source and is also free as in free beer. GIMP is pitched as the open source alternative for Adobe Photoshop. GIMP is cross platform and yes, GIMP has a Windows version also.
What's new in GIMP 2.6.9?
- GIMP 2.6.9 mainly contains a number of bug fixes and translations only. No new feature additions as yet.
- More about the bug fixes and translations that happened with this release can be found here.
How to install GIMP 2.6.9 in Ubuntu Lucid?
- GIMP 2.6.9 is available with Roberto Ferramosca PPA. Here is how you could install the PPA and upgrade to the latest GIMP.
- Open Terminal(Applications - Accessories - Terminal) and copy-paste the following line into Terminal.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/linuxfreedomlucid
- Done. Now, update repositories and upgrade your native GIMP to GIMP 2.6.9.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
- If you don't already have GIMP installed, instead of the last step, you need to do the following.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gimp
- Done. There you have it, the latest GIMP 2.6.9 in Ubuntu 10.04 'Lucid Lynx'.
- Done. Have fun :-)