Nautilus is the default file browser in Ubuntu and Nautilus Elementary is a patched version of Nautilus with an emphasis for simplicity. The whole idea originated during the 100 paper cuts for Ubuntu Karmic and it was stated that the menu and columns are too big and take away precious real estate. But the idea never took off and in its place came Nautilus Elementary. Also read: Nautilus Elementary in Ubuntu Maverick, A Quick Review.
What are the new stuff Nautilus Elementary brings to the table?
- A much simplified and good looking nautilus which can give KDE's Dolphin file browser a good run for its money.
- Integrates well with almost all kinds of themes.
- Breadcrumbs are awesome.
- Combined mode button is super easy to use.
- If you are using Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, read this instead - Nautilus Elementary in Ubuntu Maverick Installation steps and review.
- There is a repository for easy installation of Nautilus Elementary in Ubuntu Natty 11.04 and Ubuntu Maverick 10.10. Learn how to install Nautilus Elementary PPA.
- Open Terminal(Applications - Accessories - Terminal) and copy paste the following lines.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:am-monkeyd/nautilus-elementary-ppa sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade nautilus -q
- Done. Nautilus Elementary is installed and Nautilus is restarted to include the changes. Now to enable Breadcrumbs(trust me you should), here is what you need to do.
- Open Terminal and copy-paste commands line by line.
cd wget http://gnaag.k2city.eu/nautilus-breadcrumbs-hack.tar.gz tar -xvf nautilus-breadcrumbs-hack.tar.gz
- Now open Nautilus file browser and goto Edit - Preferences - Tweaks
- And Tick the show like breadcrumbs option.
- Now restart Nautilus.
- Done. Now open Nautilus and take a look at the mind blowing changes.
- Special thanks to ammonkey for this amazing Nautilus Elementary hack.
- Thanks to WebUpd8 for the Breadcrumbs for all themes hack.