Have you guys already forgot Pidgin. I hope not. For starters Pidgin used to be the default IM client in Ubuntu up until Ubuntu Karmic was released. Then it was replaced by Empathy as you must have already noticed. Pidgin 2.7 was recently released with a number of improvements and bug fixes. Let's see how to install Pidgin 2.7 in Ubuntu Lucid and Ubuntu Karmic.
- GtkStatusIcon for the docklet, providing better integration in notification area.
- Added UI for sending attentions (buzz, nudge) on supporting protocols.
- Made the search dialog unobtrusive in the conversation window.
- Added a menu set mood globally for all mood-supporting accounts.
- Show file transfer thumbnails for images on supporting protocols.
- Full Changelog here.
How To Install Latest Pidgin in Ubuntu Lucid, Karmic
- You need to add the following repo. For that simply copy paste the following line into Terminal.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:frasten/ppa
Already Installed Pidgin?
- Then all you need to do is upgrade.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Installing Pidgin 2.7 From Scratch
- If you don't have an installed version of Pidgin, this is what you need to do.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install pidgin
- Done. Have fun.
- Thanks @webupd8