Gwibber is the default microblogging client for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. We had a brief review of Gwibber in our upcoming apps for Ubuntu Lucid post. Here we will see a more elaborate review of Gwibber and also how to install the latest Gwibber in Ubuntu Karmic.
- As expected, Gwibber supports all major social media services like Twitter, Facebook, Identi.ca, Digg, FriendFeed etc.
- Automatically shortens URL's when they are pasted.
- Intuitive and easy to use.
- Built-in search tool and support for saved searches.
Want to give Gwibber a try?
- Gwibber is readily available in the Ubuntu Karmic repository. So all you need to install Gwibber in Ubuntu is to copy-paste the following command in Terminal.
sudo apt-get install gwibber
How to install the latest version of Gwibber in Ubuntu Karmic?
- What you have done in the previous step is installing the stable version of Gwibber(which may be old). Alternatively you could try the latest version of Gwibber(which will include daily updates and hence may result in a not-so-stable Gwibber) by doing the following.
- You will have to add the Gwibber daily launchpad repo. For that, simply copy-paste the foloowing command in Terminal(Applications - Accessories - Terminal)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwibber-team/ppa
- Done. Now you need to update the repo and install the latest Gwibber. For that, again simply copy-paste the following commands in Terminal one by one.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gwibber
- Done. Have fun :-)