- Support for a wide range of codecs and file formats.
- SMPlayer can remember the settings of files you play. What it means is that, while watching a movie or a video clip, if you had to stop in between and want to play it back after sometime, SMPlayer will remember the position where you stopped, and can resume it from the same position.
- Audio track switching. You can choose the audio track you want to listen. Works with avi and mkv formats.
- Pretty stable and easy to use and install.
- SMPlayer integrates well with KDE, a huge plus for KDE users.
- Now, let's get started with installation of latest smplayer in Ubuntu. You need to add the PPA key first and Repo later.
Add GPG Key
- Copy-paste the following in Terminal.
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com E4A4F4F4
Now Add the Repo
- Open sources.list file.
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
- Now copy-paste the following repo depending on the version of Ubuntu you use.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu karmic main
For Ubuntu Jaunty
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu jaunty main
For Ubuntu Intrepid
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu intrepid main
Installing all new Smplayer in Ubuntu
Upgrade to Latest SMPlayer
- Install all new SMPlayer in Ubuntu.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install smplayer
- If you have an already installed version of SMPlayer in Ubuntu, this is all you need to do.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade