Avant Window Navigator(AWN) has always been my favorite dock application. It was by far the most easy to use and far better looking dock application when compared to Gnome-Do or Cairo-Dock. But that was some years ago. I stopped using these dock applications at least a year ago and thats when I heard about the all new AWN 0.4 beta. I tested it in my Ubuntu 9.10 and I have to say AWN has pretty much maintained it status quo.
- Now you can position the dock to the left, top or right side of the screen. You can also adjust the distance from the corner and works just fine with multi-screen.
- AWN 0.4 beta also includes an extended mode, where you can actually stretch the dock to reach the ends of your screen and let me assure you, it looks damn good.
- Some new styles: Curvy
- Now to get this latest AWN installed in your Ubuntu, first you have to add the launchpad repo for AWN and also add the GPG key. I will take you through the steps.
- Simply open Terminal and copy-paste the following.
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys BF810CD5Now Add Launchpad Repo
- Goto System > Administration > Software Sources and select Third Party Software tab(Other Software tab if you are using Ubuntu Karmic).
- Now Click ADD button and copy-paste the launchpad repo depending on the version of Ubuntu you use, which is given below.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
- Now, as a final step, copy-paste the following in Terminal.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator-trunk
- Launch AWN. Goto Application > Accessories > Avant Window Navigator.
- Met with any issues while doing this? Please let me know, will surely try to help you out.