Update : Firefox 3.6.3 released!
- Existing Ubuntuzilla users should remove Firefox you have installed using Ubuntuzilla, if any, to avoid conflicts. How to remove is described in the last portion of this post.
- It is recommended that, you back up your Firefox user profile. It is located by default in /home/USERNAME/.mozilla directory.
- Since Mozilla does not releases 64bit builds, following will only work for 32 bit users.
Add the GPG Key First of all
- Just copy-paste the following command to Terminal.
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
- Now, you should choose your steps depending on the version of Ubuntu you use.
For Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04), Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) and Later
- Copy-paste the following command into terminal to add the repo for Ubuntu Jaunty and later.
echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
For Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10), Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) and Earlier
- You need to add the following Repo to your sources.list. Again, Copy-paste the command onto Terminal.
echo -e "\ndeb http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
Installing the Latest Firefox Build
- Now, we have finished all the major steps. All you need is to get the latest Firefox build, Firefox 3.6 in this case, in your Ubuntu.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install firefox-mozilla-build
- Alternatively, you could simply goto Synaptic and search for the package firefox-mozilla-build.
- Thats it. Now, whenever a new version of Firefox comes out, all you ever need to do is a sudo apt-get upgrade. Sounds good, isn't it :-)